Book, Lyrics, and Music by Joshua Goldberg
Adapted from Hans Christian Andersen's story
45 minutes | 8f, 2m, ensemble
Based on Hans Christian Andersen’s classic fairytale, this brand-new musical adaptation goes back to its roots as a moving tale of love, choice, and sacrifice. The Little Mermaid dreams of seeing the world above that she’s heard about in her Grandmother’s stories, and on her sixteenth birthday she can finally rise above the seas like her sisters before her. When a Prince on a nearby ship is flung overboard into the stormy waters, the Little Mermaid saves his life and changes her own forever. A visit to the Sea Witch can give her all she’s ever wanted, but is she willing to pay the price?
Developmental reading in February 2018 at the Portsmouth Academy of Performing Arts in Portsmouth, NH.
Curious and wide eyed. Youngest of her five sisters, she dreams of seeing the world above. She does not just fall in love with the Prince, but with the beauty of the natural world and the people who live there- and the sunlight above all.
Aged and wise. She entertains the Little Mermaid and her Sisters with stories of the world above. Though she is proud of her position and family, she is also the only one who understands the Little Mermaid’s longing. Doubles as SEA WITCH.
Blunt and powerful. She is not evil; she just strikes a hard bargain. Although she only interacts with the Little Mermaid when the deal is struck, she continues to reappear as the manifestation of a constant reminder to the Little Mermaid: you paid the price.
The eldest, and the self-proclaimed most mature, sister. Cares about her youngest sister, but doesn’t understand her enough to be truly supportive. Content with her underwater home. Doubles as COURTIER 1 and TOWNSFOLK.
The second oldest sister. Cares about her youngest sister, but doesn’t understand her enough to be truly supportive. Content with her underwater home. Doubles as COURTIER 2 and TOWNSFOLK.
The most adventurous sister, aside from the Little Mermaid. Cares about her youngest sister, but doesn’t understand her enough to be truly supportive. Content with her underwater home. Doubles as COURTIER 3 and TOWNSFOLK.
The least adventurous sister. Cares about her youngest sister, but doesn’t understand her enough to be truly supportive. Content with her underwater home. Doubles as COURTIER 4 and TOWNSFOLK.
The sister closest in age to the Little Mermaid. Cares about her youngest sister, but doesn’t understand her enough to be truly supportive. Content with her underwater home. Doubles as COURTIER 5 and TOWNSFOLK.
Quiet and sensitive. He is beloved by his subjects. He comes to care for the Little Mermaid, but is infatuated with the mysterious girl he believes saved him.
The Little Mermaid’s benevolent and caring father. Ruler of the seas. Doubles as KING.
The Prince’s father. He arranged for the Prince to meet the Princess.
Finds the Prince lying near-dead on the beach. She is raised in a religious school. Doubling with ensemble roles possible.
Movement and simple dance. Some singing. Flexible size/vocal needs. WATER, MERFOLK, SAILORS, NUNS, COURTIERS, TOWNSFOLK (BAKER, FLORIST, FARMER), SUNLIGHT
1. World Above - Grandmother
2. Up There - Little Mermaid, Sisters
3. Sunlight - Little Mermaid
4. Bubble Bash (Part 1) - Little Mermaid, Sisters
5. Better Off Below - Little Mermaid, Sisters
6. Bubble Bash (Part 2) - Little Mermaid, Grandmother, Mer-King, Sisters, Merfolk
7. Sailor's Dance/Sunlight (Reprise)/The Storm - Little Mermaid
8. Sunlight (Reprise 2) - Little Mermaid
9. World Above (Reprise) - Grandmother, Water
10. Pay the Price - Sea Witch
11. Transformation - Water
12. Fish Out of Water - Courtiers
13. Every Step - Little Mermaid, Sea Witch, Courtiers
14. Beauty in the World - Little Mermaid, Prince, Townsfolk
15. Better Off Below (Reprise) - Little Mermaid
16. Silence - Prince, Little Mermaid
17. Fish Out of Water (Reprise) - Courtiers
18. Silence/Every Step (Reprise) - Prince, Princess, Little Mermaid
19. Better Off Below (Reprise 2) - Sisters
20. Pay the Price/World Above (Reprise) - Sea Witch, Grandmother, Little Mermaid, Water
21. Sunlight Finale - Sunlight, Little Mermaid, All